Luggage - Malaria - Doctor

 It is hard to believe I have been here five days already, but life has been eventful!

When I left Uganda, the airport in Orlando was still closed because of Hurricane Ian.  I wasn't sure if I would have a flight there or not, so I packed several changes of clothes in my carry-on luggage. Because Chicago was my point of entry, I had to claim my checked luggage and then re-check it in.  As I did so, the lady reassured me that the airport was open and my flight was good, "But you had better hurry!"

I looked at my watch and discovered there was just 20 minutes until the doors were supposed to close. The wheelchair attendant suggested I just go to the United desk and schedule a later flight, but I declined and said that I had to try to reach there and then started praying. Despite the long line in security, we arrived at the gate to find that the airplane door was still open! Praise the Lord! Unfortunately, my checked luggage didn't make my same flight but opted for the later.  Great customer service was shown by delivering the bag to the place of my residence the next day. 

During the flight and throughout Saturday, I experienced several episodes of severe chills. I thought it was just my body trying to adjust to the coldness of airplanes and buildings, even though I felt feverish at times, too. Sunday morning, after a sleepless night of chills and fever sweats, I decided to start going through the testings. 

COVID - negative.

MALARIA - positive. WHAT? After 26 years, a malaria parasite hitchhikes with me to America to make me sick? What are the odds? Truly, everyone was shocked.  Thankfully, I had brought medication along with the test, so I was able to start on it right away.  

Sad part of malaria was not wanting coffee. Glad to enjoy a cup after doctor's appointment.

By Tuesday morning I was feeling well enough to make it to my doctor's appointment. Dr. Turnbull was very attentive and knowledgeable during the visit, and we are confident he will take the best course for bringing healing to my knee.  He first wants to rule out the possibility of infection, so my knee received its 10th draining. (My mother-in-law recently went through some of this. When she got her knee aspirated, she told me she barely felt a thing because of the numbing medication. So I got hopeful thinking, In America the doctor tries to make you as comfortable as possible. I think my knee sends hidden messages to the doctors, No worries - she can handle pain. Don't worry about trying to numb me.)

The desire for our friends to connect us with this doctor and pave the way has been so helpful (and the ride from the airport).

I am blessed to be staying with a very sweet couple that have done so much to make me feel welcome and at home (as well as their dog).  

Although electricity was out when I arrived, it came back on Sunday night (as did the internet). 

The doctor's mother-in-law is a surgical nurse and has daily been checking on me and assuring me that I will get all put back together (her positivity and energy are infectious). 

The Lord had blessed me with friends and wonderful care all around.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEW LOCATION

That Was Quick

TO MY VIOLIN CHILDREN