PRESIDENT, GRADUATE, BRIDE and GROOM

Last week kept us very busy.  Yesterday I got a chance to lay down after lunch and ended up falling asleep talking to Keith.  I'm glad my husband is very forgiving and doesn't take things personal.  The quick nap sure felt good, though.

Monday - Masaka town was covered with military and police due to the President's arrival.  Keith and I had a meeting with an English couple that attends our church.  We were able to answer many questions they had.

Tuesday - We all went to Petersen's house to celebrate Abigail's birthday.  Of course, the night ended with a game of The Settlers of Catan. (It's just not right when couples help each other win the game, right?)

Wednesday - Liberation Day.  President Museveni spoke at a rally here in Masaka.  We three missionary families walked to the field just behind our house.  As the president drove through the lines of soldiers and police in an open jeep, the crowds pressed tightly and Keith's phone was stolen.  Amazingly, an undercover police returned it 20 minutes later.  Truly of the Lord! After church, I stayed up and baked 9 cakes.

Thursday - I frosted the cakes with a crumb coating in the morning and a thick coat in the evening.  This was my last time to lead the ladies soulwinning.  I have turned it over to one of the nationals.

Friday - I decorated the 7 cakes (the 4 round ones got stacked to become 2) - before midnight. I'm sure that was a first for me.  I am usually up past midnight whenever I have cakes to decorate.  I would love to take some cake decorating classes when we are on furlough.  I think it would be less stressful if I knew better what I was doing.  Keith attended a ground breaking ceremony at the hospital for a new addition.  President Museveni was part of the ceremony.

Keith with the Newlyweds: Juliet and Robert
Saturday - The first wedding of Word of Life Baptist Church in Lukaya - started out of our church.  Both the bride and groom were led to the Lord by soulwinners out of our church.  Keith and I thought the wedding went smoothly.  Fellow missionary Tony that just returned from the States thought just the opposite.  I guess Keith and I have just gotten used to Ugandan weddings.  I had brought my two Sunday lessons to study, a book to read, and snacks and water.  Starting 1-1/2 hours late wasn't too bad.

Sunday - This was my last day for teaching the Children's Church.  Actually, I haven't taught the class for quite some time, but one of my teachers moved to Kampala, so I had to take her place on the schedule for three weeks.  I will probably teach my Ladies Sunday School for just two more weeks.  This was the last day to lead ladies prayer meeting as I have turned it over to a national.

Missionaries Marlin, Keith and Tony with Graduate Ojera Peter
Monday - This was my last day as official cook for our two families.  Of course, I will still be lending a hand, but Kristy will be in charge of the meals for the month of February.

A lot of "lasts" this past week.  But I hope that now I can fully focus on getting the house packed up and the family ready for furlough.  I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday, so today I was moving very carefully and not very fast.  I am praying that it is better in the morning. 

Blessings:
#58: Fresh air.  The houses are built with vent bricks above every door and window.  Our house never feels stuffy as the air is always circulating.
#57: The imagination of my children.  Skyler likes to fold a paper in such a way that it resembles a flip-open phone.  Then he has me help him draw the numbers and screen.
#56: Song specials from people who can't sing on tune.  They sing because they desire to please God.  "Make a joyful NOISE" truly applies to some people.  But the joy it must bring to God's heart brings a big smile to my face.
#55: Crocs.  The kids and I live in them.  Shiloh was been going through Croc withdrawals.  Without us knowing about it, one of his fell out of the car when we stopped to buy eggs.
#54: Annita. Keith actually helped deliver her 12 years ago, and I helped name her (after my friend Annetta).  She always helps clean the classroom after children's church and carries my bag to the van.  Her home is in a difficult situation right now, so she thrives on any love we show her.  We allow her to borrow books from us and give her Sunday School papers that someone in the States send Shae-Lynn.
#53: Lack of vanity in children.  Most children have shaved heads - both boys and girls.  While we encourage the parents to allow the girls' hair to grow to some length, having no hair is not uncommon for a teenage girl.  A little friend of Savannah's cut her hair - very short in some areas.  To blend in the rest of the hair, I had to cut off her curls and she ended up with hair just below her ears.  However, she shrugged her shoulders and said matter-of-factly as she put a baseball cap on, "I look like Shane.  I look like a boy."
#52: Joy of seeing other missionaries.  Debbie Guimon stopped for a visit with her son Matthew.  We showed Matthew the toy rifle he gave Shane 7-8 years ago.  It is battered up and held together with electrical tape, yet it is probably THE favorite toy among the little boys.
#51: Seeing our church people mature.  Because they haven't grown up in a Baptist church, it is very exciting when they grasp and put into practice Biblical instruction.
#50: Unexpected American items.  Keith found a kid's football in Kampala with the Dallas Cowboys' insignia on it.  The kids can't understand why they can't play with mom's present and why she is using it for decoration in her Texas-themed bedroom.  Last month Matt found a large camping chair with the U.T. Texas Longhorn on it; the only camping chair in the store.  (He bought it for Keith for his 2011's Christmas present.)
#49:Freedom of education.  Education is not mandatory, hence we are not questioned why are children aren't in school when we go to town in the middle of the day.
#48: Elgin Restaurant. This is where we eat our Sunday lunch.  Within 5 minutes of sitting down, we are served beans, rice, stewed meat, sweet potatoes, irish potatoes, pumpkin, chapatis, and cabbage.  That is our fast food menu.
#47: Laughter at what is carried on bicycles.  Today we saw a cow's head being transported on the back of a bicycle.
#46: Fellowship with people who truly understand our lifestyle of living in Uganda.  State-side people have a hard time understanding our joys, frustrations, and concerns.  Our children are growing up totally different than how I did.
#45: Homemade ice cream.  A standard fare for every birthday.
#44: The smallness of the country which allows us to meet (or come close to) dignitaries.
#43: Sunday nights watching Adrian Rodgers.  Not only does this give our children an idea of American churches, but we ourselves are preached to.
#42: Cheap tailor.  My tailor has been able to take Keith's trousers in even more and keep them looking nice - for just $1.50 a pair.  That is well worth it to me!
#41: Spontaneity of wedding ceremonies.  There are no rehearsals, so it is fun to see Keith direct the ceremony as well as perform it.  No stress for perfection.  The church was decorated in blue.  The reception area in green and orange.


#40: Spontaneity of graduations.  Once again, no rehearsals.  And just like weddings, the people clap to the beat of the music during the entrance and exit marches.
#39: The people's love for simple things.  I am not a professional cake baker or decorator, yet they love the cakes I bake.

The Bride kneels before the Groom when they feed each other.
#38: Loose schedules.  While we strive for organization in life, we are not bound by the rigid activities like most Americans are.

Comments

  1. Your blogs are such a blessing! So glad to have you with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NEW LOCATION

That Was Quick

TO MY VIOLIN CHILDREN